Friday, June 16, 2006

The beauty of sketching

I thought about a recent project in my drawing class. We have to draw 33 sketches out of real life. That's fine. Not hard. But I was shirking it.

But in thinking about it, I realized that the hardest things for me to draw, are not people. It's objects. And not complicated ones. In fact, the more complicated, the easier it is (if that makes sense). So this will be good for me. I've been drawing random things. Jars, necklaces, phones, shoes, books. Things that would take up space in a picture, in an unobtrusive way. Sketching from life will take up a lot of sketchbook space, but it'll be well worth it for me.

Of course, I still draw people too. Don't want to get out of practice drawing the real deal by drawing nothing but cartoons. Man, I hate that word.

No comments: