Wednesday, June 21, 2006

A way to thicken lines in a natural way.

Early this morning, I was finishing up my art final, drawing in the dragon, when I noticed something interesting and valuable.

When I first drew the dragon, it was in pencil. Detailed, but the lines were made in sketchy motions thus giving them a slightly fuzzy effect (you know what I'm talking about). When I got out my micron to go over it, I went over the lines exactly as I saw them. I usually just go once over the line to make it a smooth, even width line. But in going over the fuzzies, and smoothing the edges together, I got that comic book look. The lines vary in width throughout the picture, giving it a little something extra. Same line width drawings always feel to be lacking something.

But this is especially good for me because most of my drawings are the rough sketchy stuff that I refine later. But after I inked them they always looked odd. Now, though, they'll look good.

Maybe I'll upload some examples later.

No comments: